If you want to know what's happening on your WordPress site, then the Overview section is the right place to start.
You can use this section to:
- Review the most important security actions taken by Shield on your WordPress site
- Get insight of the potential security issues on your site
- Get insight of the most recent Shield events
How to review the most important security actions taken by Shield on your site
Some important counters/stats are displayed within Overview section that shows how many major events Shield has handled in its lifetime. It’s not a complete stats breakdown, but a simple summary.
The statistical data available are as follows:
- Login Blocks - Total number of the login attempts blocked.
- Firewall Blocks - Total number of requests blocked by firewall rules.
- Comments Blocks - Total number of the SPAM comments blocked.
- Transgressions - Total number of the transgressions against your site.
- IP Blocks - Total number of the connections blocked/killed after too many transgressions.
- Blacklist IPs - Number of the current IP addresses with transgressions against the site.
Example of the Shield's summary stats:
Please note that the related Shield's features must be enabled first. We highly recommend you to read:
- What is the transgression limit?
- What is the IP Manager module?
- What is the Login Guard module?
- What is the Firewall module?
- What is the Comments SPAM module?
How to get insight of the potential security issues on your site
To get a real-time insight of the potential security issues on your site, you may use Security Notices section. This section also provides information on what actions should be taken on your site in order to keep it safe and secure.
Note: Addressing these notices should be a top-priority.
Example of the site with some of the security issues
In this example, we can see that this site has 2 security issues, including "inactive themes".
To remove inactive themes, simply click the "Go To Themes" link and you'll be presented with the WordPress Themes page you can easily remove inactive theme(s):
Hint: We recommend you to remove all inactive plugins/themes from your WordPress site. To read why inactive plugins/themes are considered as a security risk, please check out our video/transcript here.
Note: If you see parent-child themes as inactive in this section and that they should be removed, please read this article here.
How to get insight of the most recent Shield events
Often it’s hard to know what things are happening with Shield. Sure, the Audit Trail provides a granular and detailed breakdown of what’s happening. But until now, we didn’t have a way to see major events from a higher level.
Shield Recent Events Log section will list the last known recorded incident for many common events that Shield Security handles. It gives you the ability to review some of the most important recent events and the exact time they have occurred. For example: