Import/Export is a feature inside Shield plugin. It helps you to automatically import options and deploy configurations across your entire security network.
This unique feature has the following characteristics:
- Direct Site-To-Site. No more downloading/uploading export files – you import the options directly from any remove site.
- Security First:
- A ‘secret key’ is required to export options from a site. This key rotates every hour so don’t need to worry about people “finding” it.
- Handshaking – when a site requests an export, we check back with the site to make sure that it really did request it.
- Master Site Templates – create a “master site” where you change your settings only once, and have your other WordPress sites automatically update themselves from it
- One Site To Rule Them. Rather than go round each site and manually update or import, you can all your sites poll your master site and import automatically.
- You can even have your master site notify your other sites that the options have changed and they should update asap.
- White list site URLs – any URL on the white list will not need to provide the secret key.
This feature is available within Shield plugin's Dashboard.
You will have the ability to configure the following:
- Allow Import/Export - enable or disable this feature
- Master Import Site - enter your Master Site URL
- Export Whitelist - whitelist site URLs to export options from the Master Site
- Notify Whitelist - notify sites on the whitelist to update options from the Master Site
Note: The secret key that will allow the import and export of options will be displayed too.
How to create your own Shield Security (Master-Slave) Network
With Import/Export automated feature, you can manage all your Shield Security installations from 1 (or a few) key sites.
By creating a Master site, you can update options on there, and have all your “slave” sites pull their configuration from it. To achieve this, you need to setup your Master-Slave Network. To learn on how to do that, please follow the guide outlined in the article here.
We also recommend you to launch Shield setup Wizard. It can help you get setup quickly and become familiar with some of the core Shield Security features. The Wizard is available across all plugin features.
Note: Import/Export feature is available with Shield Pro only. To find out what the extra features for Shield Pro are, read the article here.